About the referral services:
Programs, length of stay and cost will vary. Remember, recovering from any form of addiction is not a quick or easy process - it requires a lifestyle change of varying degrees. You may want to find somewhere closer to where you live, but that is not always available. WESDARC recommends that you view the time you spend in a rehabilitation program as a time for yourself, to rebuild what has been absent from your life and to build your strength so you can achieve your goals.
What's right for you?
When looking for a place that is right for you, think about what you want to achieve and your commitment to your decision to recover from drug addiction. Be realistic about how long it might take to do this, and the right environment to do it in. Although your first thought might be that you want somewhere close and that does not interrupt your current commitments too much, it may be that a break from where you are right now is a blessing in disguise. Have an open mind when considering a rehab, shop around, and don't be afraid to ask questions to address any concerns you may have when you contact a service.
How can I support an effective referral?
- When making a referral it is important to liaise with a relevant AOD service and find out more about what they do and how they provide their service (such as, what is their treatment philosophy? What general or specialist services do they offer? What is their access criteria?)
- With the consent of the person/client, provide information to support the referral
- High involvement in referral has been associated with higher uptake and retention in treatment.
Some tips to support a referral can include:
- Arranging appointments for the person/ client and giving them instructions on how to get there
- Providing information to the person about the service they have been referred to
- Building expectations of good outcomes and
- Asking permission to call person/client to follow up with the outcome of the referral
|Address:||Community Connection Building, Suite 109
114-116 Henry Street
Penrith NSW 2750
|Phone No:||(02) 4732 1999|
|Fax:||(02) 4731 1911|